Sunday, December 26, 2010

paleo snacks

I just came up with a good and purely paloe snack
Guacamole (avacados and lime juice)
pico salsa from Costco
Sliced carrots and cucumbers

I mix the guacamole and pico and use the carrots as "chips"  very satisfying



Granola Bars
I found a really yummy looking granola bar recipe that I love.  Of course, I am me, so, I modified it somewhat.  I don't put dried fruit in it.  I get the shredded coconut from the local co-op so that it isn't the sweetened kind.   I also use lots of cinnamon and I have added shredded orange peel for a little extra flavor-- YUM!
It is on a site called Joyful Abode.   http://www.joyfulabode.com/2010/09/12/grain-free-granola-bars/


Grain-Free Gluten-Free Dairy-Free Granola Bar Recipe

You will need:
  • 2.5 cups assorted nuts and seeds
  • 1 cup dried fruit
  • 2 cups shredded coconut
  • 1/4 cup coconut oil
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • splash of vanilla extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • generous sprinkle of cinnamon
  • some more cinnamon
Roughly chop 1 cup of the nuts and seeds. Place in a bowl.
Use your food processor to pulse the other 1.5 cups of nuts and seeds into a finer “chop.” Add to the bowl.
Add your fruit.
Stir in the dried coconut.
In a saucepan over medium-low heat, combine oil, honey, vanilla, salt, and cinnamon. Cook until the mixture bubbles, then pour over the fruit/nut mixture.
Stir to combine completely.
Press your mixture into a parchment-lined pan of some sort. Press HARD.
Cool 2-3 hours, then remove from the

No comments:

Post a Comment